Important Reminder to Supporters of the Humane Society of Missouri
As a valued supporter of the Humane Society of Missouri, we want to make sure you are aware of the differences between several national animal welfare organizations and the Humane Society of Missouri. You may have heard of the ASPCA or the Humane Society of the United States. Sometimes donors confuse our organizations and are under the impression we are affiliated with one another. Donors to these national organizations sometimes mistakenly believe that all or part of their national donations eventually come to local animal welfare organizations. That is not the case.
Please understand – the Humane Society of Missouri (HSMO) is not governed by or financially supported by either ASPCA or the Humane Society of the United States.
We are all completely separate entities.
Founded in Missouri in 1870, The Humane Society of Missouri is one of the oldest and largest locally based animal welfare organizations in the U.S. Our headquarters is in St. Louis from which we operate:
- Companion animal Adoption Centers in St. Louis City, Maryland Heights and Chesterfield Valley
- The Animal Medical Center of Mid-America, one of the largest veterinary centers in the Midwest, with locations in St. Louis City, Maryland Heights and Chesterfield Valley
- Longmeadow Rescue Ranch in Union, Mo. one of the largest facilities in the U.S. for the rescue, rehabilitation and adoption of horses and farm animals
- The HSMO Humane Education Program annually teaching more than 35,000 children and adults respect for all living creatures
- The Animal Cruelty Task Force and Disaster Response Team which investigates reports of animal abuse and neglect throughout Missouri and provides animal rescue, temporary sheltering and pet rehoming in times of disaster in Missouri and other states
HSMO relies on donations from individuals, corporations and foundations and fees for services. We do not receive funding from national animal welfare groups, or the United Way or public taxes.
Thank you very much for your continuing patronage of and support for the Humane Society of Missouri – your local, independent animal welfare organization.